Kerala Police explains what to be aware of while scanning QR codes . When opening the link, it is important to ensure that the URL is secure and comes from a trusted source, police said. The ‘open URLs automatically’ option can be set accordingly in the code scanner app settings. It is advisable to give permission to access websites with our knowledge. Understanding that technology has its pros and cons will help us approach them with more caution, the police said.
The role of QR codes in modern life has become unavoidable. There are some facts to be aware of when scanning QR codes.
1. When opening a link using a QR code, it is important to ensure that the URL is secure and comes from a trusted source.
2. URLs leading to QR codes may not all be correct, just as clicking suspicious links in email and SMS is dangerous. It may lead you to a phishing website.
3. In the QR code scanner APP-settings we can set the option ‘open URLs automatically’ according to our preference. It is advisable to give permission to access websites with our knowledge.
4. Generate QR code only from known service providers.
5. Verify the transaction details in the account immediately after making the transactions using the QR code.
6. Avoid downloading custom QR code apps.. 7. Use trusted apps provided by device manufacturer that can scan QR